[Sca-cooks] poll - what is a citrangula?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun May 3 17:01:40 PDT 2009

--On Sunday, May 03, 2009 11:51 PM +0000 t.d.decker at att.net wrote:

> In a translation of one of Avicenna's medical texts (11th Century),
> citrangula is generally translated as orange.  I've also seen a later
> text (author and date escapes me) where citrangula and limones (either
> citrons or lemons) are mentioned in the same sentence.  However, we can't
> rule out that Scully is reference a regional usage of the word.
>
> Bear

FLorio does not have citrangula but does have citrangola, which is
crossreffed to Cedriola, where it is defined as "a little Cedar-tree, Also
a little Cytron. Also a little Coucumber"

(Not that that's terribly useful, but figured a 1611 definition was worth
throwing into the discussion).

toodles, margaret