[Sca-cooks] Potluck was I is in teh East Kingdom!

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed May 6 17:26:26 PDT 2009

Potluck goes back to Elizabethan England
One's luck or chance with regard to what may be in the pot (i.e. cooked
and available to eat), used originally and chiefly in reference to a
person's accepting another's hospitality at a meal without any special
preparation having been made.
*1592* T. NASHE
<http://dictionary.oed.com.proxy.lib.umich.edu/help/bib/oed2-n.html#t-nashe>
/Strange Newes/ Ep. Ded. sig. A2, That, that pure sanguine complexion of
yours may neuer be famisht with potte-lucke. **

Johnnae