[Sca-cooks] Vegetables Fit for a King article

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Wed May 6 20:38:29 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> /It includes this recipe:  *Green Beans and Toasted Almonds*
> toasted almonds. I call this my Medieval version of Fried Onion
> and Green Bean Casserole. This is based on a recipe from 1545
> that I crossed with another period recipe that included almonds.
> http://www.renstore.com/Article5A09.asp.

First of all, let me make clear that the "I" in the text above is the
author of the article, not Johnnae.  I tried to track down the source
of the original recipe, since the author doesn't identify it.  The
1545 date makes "A Proper New Book of Cookery" a likely suspect.  It
has a recipe for fried beans, but I believe those would be fava beans.
http://www.godecookery.com/trscript/trsct011.html

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
My NEW email is rcarrollmann at gmail.com