[Sca-cooks] seaweed

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Fri May 8 09:00:27 PDT 2009

Mongolians ate seaweed??

Where did they buy it?  Japan?  And then, what....carry it by donkey, or
something?  Or was this when they ruled China?

In Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately pleasure dome decree.......

Okay....as for soaking the seaweed, um....when I make soup out of it, it
becomes thick enough to be almost chewy.  But then, after cooling, it thins
down enough to be resembling the original material, just mildly moist.  And
paper-thin.  Are you saying that soaking in cold water, it'll be safe to
eat?  And....like soaking, or just putting it in there a second?  20
minutes?  5?  10 seconds?

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Mariann Eaves <drmrsgal at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ian, you need to soak the seaweed (reserve the liquid to make soup) if
> you're going to use it in salad or as a wrap for the fish.
>
> You can make sushi out of canned tuna, cooked rice, steamed carrots(chopped
> fine) and diakon radish(chopped fine) and use the nori (dried) wrap or chop
> some of the soaked till it's softend seaweed and add to the rice and form
> into balls. (very Japanese and good to make bento lunches out of).
>  Remember
> sushi actually is talking about the rice... not the kind of fish on it.
>
> Mainly from what I've read from you... you're not soaking the seaweed.
> Also, it's period if you happen to have a Mongolian personna, lol
>
> YIS,
>
> The mundane Hawaiian
> Saraqan
>

> On 5/8/09, Ian Kusz <sprucebranch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, all for the seaweed recipes....
> >

> > I'm trying to make sure I"m not missing out on a bet for a different
> usage
> > for seaweed; for instance, I used it for a wrap for cooking fish, and it
> > made the fish even more "fishy tasting" (almost inedibly so), and did not
> > moisten the seaweed, itself, enough to make it really palatable.
> >
> > I'm trying to think; baking?  um.....some kind of stir-fry?  I know about
> > the sushi thing, but haven't the skill to make sushi (nor would I know
> what
> > kind of fresh fish was "safe," or where I could get fish fresh
> > enough).....hmmm....omelettes? (sounds very strange-tasting)
> >
> > Tried it in a salad, ended up shredding my mouth....
> >
> > I'd rather not shred my mouth.  It sucked.
> >
> > Nice to know it's sort of period, if you have a Japanese persona.
> > --
> > Ian of Oertha--
> > If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a
> > nail.
> >   - Abraham Maslow

Ian of Oertha