[Sca-cooks] sorrel verjuice?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri May 15 04:24:42 PDT 2009

On May 15, 2009, at 3:01 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Was this your own invention? Or do you have some evidence for
> verjuice being made with sorrel in period? Or is this just an
> addition to green grape or crabapple juice, which is what I thought
> verjuice was made from.
>
> Along those lines I wonder if there are medieval recipes for green
> sauces made with sorrel?

As Thorvald states, both verjuice and green sauce can be made from
sorrel, and I believe a couple of recipes for sorrel sauce were posted
(puree, add salt, serve, essentially). Sorrel verjuice is, I gather,
most often made by steeping sorrel in verjuice, but it's quite tangy
on its own: a key in understanding the situation might lie in the fact
that in parts of the US and other English-speaking locations, wild
sorrel is more commonly known as sourgrass.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter