[Sca-cooks] Tea Information

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun May 17 14:17:12 PDT 2009

Kiri wrote:
> The jalabs are a particularly good idea.  Granted they might not be used in
> Europe, but certainly they are period for the Middle East.  What you could
> do is to make up the concentrate before Pennsic, then have the children
> either mix water with it to make a drink or pour the syrup over crushed ice
> and serve to your guests.

Sharbats were known in Europe by at least the mid-17th century. There are recipes in la Varenne for fruit and flower syrups to be drunk mixed with water.

I haven't looked for them yet in 16th c. cookbooks, but given that gigantic outburst of SUGAR in Elizabethan England, sharbats by one name or another may have been known.

Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)