[Sca-cooks] Wohlgemuth's woodcut

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon May 18 04:13:45 PDT 2009

For those that want to follow along--
( I have not yet been able to get the images from Bear's article to load.
I am going to have to try again.)

Illustration 56 at this website is labeled

56. kép. Michael Wohlgemut: Salamon király lakomája. Fametszet Stephan
Fridolin: /Schatzbehalter der wahren Reichtümer des Heils und ewiger
Seligkeit/ (Nürnberg, 1491) címu" könyvében. Berlin, Deutsches
Historisches Museum RA 98/1810

http://archivum.piar.hu/batthyany/benda/doktori-kepek.htm

A colored version appears at:
http://www.kunstportal-bw.de/skkgruenewald11a.html
It's labeled as:
Michael Wolgemut/Wilhelm Pleydenwurff (Werkstatt): Schatzbehalter (Texte
von Stephan Fridolin; Nürnberg: Anton Koberger), 1491
Buchdruck mit Holzschnitten; 33 x 22,8 cm; Karlsruhe, Badische
Landesbibliothek

It's also at
http://www.blb-karlsruhe.de/blb/blbhtml/aktuelles/auswaertige-veranstaltungen-2008.php

Part of this illustration appears on the front cover of the 1976
paperback edition of Henisch's Fast and Feast
and as illustration 30 on page 162 of that edition.
There's been at least one facsimile. Schatzbehalter der waren
reichthümer des Heils.
<http://www.art-books.com/cgi-bin/artbooks/viewauthor/Fridolin%2C%20Stephan..html?id=mcpg2yJA>
Portland, Ore.: Collegium Graphicum, 1972. Alan Wofsy Fine Arts,
distribution. Decorative wrappers in matching slipcase. 708 pp.
Facsimile reprint of 1491 edition. German. Printed Sources of Western
Art. Theodore Besterman, editor. One of the masterpieces of the
incunabular period, containing 96 full-page woodcuts by Michael
Wohlgemuth. (Brunet V, 193).

Johnnae