[Sca-cooks] Smoker was: Bread Questions

Karstyl karstyl at gmail.com
Fri May 29 11:51:11 PDT 2009

Susan Fox wrote:

> Small diversion:  some folks from the Barony of Calafia [San Diego, CA]
> brought a propane-fired smoker to Collegium and to Potrero War and
> demonstrated it.  Quite a good compromise for "city kids".  Best quickie
> treat:  smoked pecans in about one hour.  To which I say, happily, Nuts
> To You!

I ran my smoker last weekend, now I wish I had tried to smoke pecans, it
sounds so good.

I did learn a couple of things in that smoke run.
1) Corned beef coated with black pepper, long pepper and cubebs and
smoked for 24 hrs @200 tastes like pastrami. It is basically the recipe
for pastrami, but the commercial corned beef that was in my freezer from
some sale a while ago worked well, and better then I expected.
2) The random poultry in a vacuum bag at the bottom of my freezer was a
duck, not a chicken.  It was still very yummy after smoked in
pomegranate sauce. I know, I know, label stuff that goes in the freezer.
I think a friend who was borrowing freezer space left in when he moved
out of town.

-Hrefna