[Sca-cooks] crisping birds

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon May 4 12:54:34 PDT 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Sisuile Butler wrote:

> I'm looking for the specific term for the technique described here:
>
> "You shall take partridges and after they have been well-plucked,
> put them
> between the embers;
>
> and when they have been there for the space of a Paternoster,
>
> take them out and clean everything off them,"
>
> I know there is one, and I should know it, but it's escaping me and
> my books
> at the moment. Help?

It's not clear what the intent is. As Brighid suggests, it could be
singeing (to remove hairlike pinfeathers). On the other hand, it could
also be to warm the outer surface and soften the skin to prepare it
for larding.

Are you quoting a specific recipe? What comes next?

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter