[Sca-cooks] I is in teh East Kingdom! -- plus, a digression on the Rochester Garbage Plate

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed May 6 08:00:21 PDT 2009

On May 6, 2009, at 9:14 AM, Ginny Beatty wrote:

> The chili sauce for the hot dogs in Central New York is an interesting
> phenomenon. I have an aunt and uncle in Wellsville, NY and there's a
> restaurant in town known as Texas Hot.

I don't recall this being a Thing in the Southern Tier of New York,
where, at least in the areas with which I'm familiar, the spiedie
(yes, this is the correct spelling, derived from Italian spiedini) is
king (more meat on a stick).

> The sauce on the hot dog is to
> me, reminiscent of Cincinnati Chili (more specifically Skyline Chili).
> More cinnamon and cumin than cayenne.

Well, cumin is a very common, almost requisite, chili ingredient, but
cinnamon in this case appears like it might be a nod to the many
Greeks (who often add it to tomato sauces) who have opened restaurants
in the US, regardless of the actual cuisine nominally pursued. [We've
got two or three local diners, all serve a fine Irish full breakfast,
beans on toast, a mixed grill in the evenings: one run by actual Irish
folks, one, I believe, by Dominicans, and one with a Greek-American
chef -- the food between the three is largely indistinguishable most
of the time.]

> The brothers who run the
> restaurant are Greek as well as the founders of Skyline Chili (the
> Lambrinides brothers). Hmm....coincidence?

Sounds like, not. Or not much.

But yes, the sauce in question is fairly wimpy by Scoville-unit
standards; the recipes I've seen for it do include cayenne, but not in
any serious quantity. I'm not sure, though, that for this application,
it's a problem.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter