[Sca-cooks] Japanese breakfast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun May 10 19:26:03 PDT 2009

Johnnae mentioned:
<<< Here's a note on a Japanese breakfast from Saveur with a photo
gallery

http://www.saveur.com/article/Our%20Favorite%20Foods/Notes-on-My-
Mothers-Breakfast

Thanks. I've wondered what a typical Japanese breakfast might be like.

However, just as interesting in this article to me, was to see the
modification of the European scrabbled eggs to something more
comfortable to the Japanese culture. Something similar probably
happened when the Europeans encountered the New World foods.

"I always found it intriguing to watch my mother prepare her morning
eggs. She began by breaking them into a bowl with a little sugar and
shoyu (soy sauce), which she beat together with a pair of chopsticks.
Next, she poured two tablespoons or so of rice vinegar into a heated
saucepan and swirled it so that the inside surface of the pan was
coated with a thin layer of rice vinegar. Then she added the egg
mixture and cooked it, stirring vigorously with three pairs of
cooking chopsticks held all together in one hand so that they
functioned just like a French whisk."

It is also a good example of adapting the tools you have at hand to
imitate what you've seen elsewhere. Unless you grew up in the
culture, would it be obvious to add sugar and shoyu to the eggs? It
wouldn't occur to me. So much for the "In medieval England they had
chopped beef, buns, cheese and lettuce, so they must have had
hamburgers. It is such an obvious thing to do." train of thought.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com