[Sca-cooks] Tea Information

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat May 16 13:26:28 PDT 2009

If you are talking about actual tea, you need either China or Japan.
Tea
wasn't introduced into Europe until the 17th Century.

There is, however, a 15th Century Flemish drawing of a ladies' feast
with
trenchers being prepared and served at the table.  A copy of the
print was
appended to an article on trenchers that I placed with Stefan for the
Florilegium, but I don't know if the print made it into the Florlegium.

Bear
-----

Uh oh. There are in fact two illustrations in my master copy which
show what appear to be lady's feasts. The one Bear described and a
second one. The second one is also 15th Century but from Nuremburg.
Unfortunately, the pictures didn't seem to make it to the web
version. I thought I only had problem with one and put off fixing it
till later. Let me see what I can do.

If you download the Word formatted version the pictures should be in
there.

I had not noticed this until Bear mentioned it, but *all* of the
feasters in these two pictures appear to be women. I hadn't realized
that that was done.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas