[Sca-cooks] Terminology/substitute questions

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sun May 24 22:08:33 PDT 2009

--- Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com> schrieb am So, 24.5.2009:

> Von: Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com>
> Betreff: [Sca-cooks]  Terminology/substitute questions
> An: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Datum: Sonntag, 24. Mai 2009, 23:45
> Volker Bach wrote:
>
> > Mettwurst.
> I think it better not to translate it. Its like the word
> 'bitifarra' in Catalan. What more can one say in the latter
> case than white sausage but no matter how you explain or
> name it, it is not the same.
> > Mettenden
> >
> No translation in my book.
> > Gretzwurst.
> What are you going to say - oatmeal or green sausage or
> whatever? Nay. - Gretzwurst is the word. After that you can
> put a coma and explain but don't try to over translate. I
> know for it is a fault of my own.

I'm not so much looking for a transalation as trying to make sure I'm not missing some obvious parasllel that I don't know. I would feel stupid if I spent half a psge explaining in complicated detail what it is, and then someone looks at it and says "Oh, it's like polonies."

Also, something to suggest as substitutes if anyone wants to serve a feast themed like that.

Thanks

Giano