[Sca-cooks] Gervase Markham and "faux venison"

Philip Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed May 27 08:41:08 PDT 2009

On May 27, 2009, at 10:59 AM, edoard at medievalcookery.com wrote:

> This appears to be a popular trick.  In addition the recipe from
> Markham's that Adamantius posted, there are three in Menagier:
>
> And if you wish to make a piece of beef taste like venison of deer or
> bear, if you are in bear country, take numble or leg of beef, then
> parboil and lard it, spit and roast; and let it be eaten with (a sauce
> of) wild boar's tail. Let the beef be parboiled, then lard it along
> its
> length and cut into portions, and then put the hot boar's tail (sauce)
> in a dish over your beef which first is roasted or boiled in boiling
> water and taken out soon, for this is more tender than deer.  [Le
> Menagier de Paris]

Moving in the other direction on the calendar, there's a somewhat
plaintive reference somewhere in, I believe, the diaries of Samuel
Pepys, who says that he dined at so-and-so's house tonight 'on a
"venison pasty" that was palpable beef!'

Adamantius, for whom palpability is not necessarily a drawback