[Sca-cooks] whole, roasted goose breast over sauerkraut

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu May 7 06:38:23 PDT 2009

On May 7, 2009, at 8:41 AM, S CLEMENGER wrote:

> I assumed the latter....all the lovely juices and grease from the
> goose
> breast would do lovely things to veggies it's being roasted over,
> and I
> figure that if the OP had meant the breast was *served* over the
> sauerkraut,
> it would have been written that way...
> --Maire

The classic French/Alsatian version of the recipe does call for some
pork or goose fat, or butter, so using a pan of sauerkraut as a drip
pan, if one were roasting in front of a fireplace, might not be a bad
deal. Not sure if I like the idea of roasting sauerkraut in the oven
for any period of time. I mean, you can, but you sort of want to set
it up for baking at an appropriate temperature, etc.

And, of course, there's always roasting "til yt be half enow", and
then placing it in with the kraut to finish cooking.

I did mine in one of those cast-iron Dutch ovens with the "self-
basting" lid, in the oven.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter