[Sca-cooks] pate, terrine and rillettes?

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Fri May 8 00:13:26 PDT 2009

<<< Given that pastez and pastry and pate all have the same roots it
might make
sense that some of the meat pie fillings could reasonably be
extrapolated to
a terrine like object.....

Hmmm. I'll have to do some re-reading...I could have sworn there were
some
potted meat recipes (potted shrimps?) in the later Elizabethan
corpus.... >>>

Yes there are, although for preservation purposes they were
questionable since most have you let the contents cool down before
sealing the meat and contents with fat, hence allowing a good
environment for the bad beasties to start growing before they would
have been sealed out with the fat. But it apparently worked well
enough that it wasn't until the early 1600s that the instructions
started explicitly saying to seal the food before it had cooled off.

See this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium as well as one
of Ann Hagen's books on food preservation.

potted-foods-msg  (16K)  5/21/04    Cooked foods put in pots and
sealed w. fat.

I've really not had much exposure to these chopped meat products
except the canned varieties so I'm a bit unfamiliar with these. Makes
it particularly difficult to file them in the Florilegium :-). What
are "pate", "terrine" and "rillette" and perhaps as important how do
they differ from one another? And is there a single word that
encompasses all of them?

What separates these from sausage stuffing that hasn't been stuffed
into a tube? Are these usually of organ meats rather than muscle?

We've discussed how chopped meat is different from ground meat, but
this is a bit different.

chopped-meat-msg   (7K) 10/11/04    Period chopped meat. Differences
between
                                        chopped and ground.

I do have this article by Anne-Marie for those who might be interested:
minced-meat-art   (11K)  2/13/98    "Paste en Pot de Mouton" by Anne-
Marie
                                        Rousseau. Period minced meat
and onions.

Stefan