[Sca-cooks] pate, terrine and rillettes?

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Fri May 8 13:36:53 PDT 2009

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:
> as far as I can tell, a pate is a paste of foodstuffs (usually meat but I've
> seen it done with veggies too). It can be smooth (pate de fois gras) or
> chunky (pate de campagne).  You start with raw meat that is processed, and
> then the moosh is cooked often with egg or cream, and often pressed to give
> a meat loaf like texture.

Actually, what you usually start with is liver.

> A terrine is an assembly of foodstuffs, that has been pressed in a terrine.
> These are often layered with pates as well as other interesting things
> (vegetable terrines can be pretty) Terrines can be of pate, or not. I get
> the impression that terrine is more about the pan its cooked in than
> anything else...

Yup, definitely.  The pan can be lined with pastry, like a pie or with
something else, like bacon or cabbage leaves.

> Rillettes is (are?) a moosh of meat that has not been pressed. You start by
> cooking the meat and then shredded it into tiny bits. A fair amt of gelatin
> (pigs feet, etc) is in there too. Think the texture of sloppy joes. We ate A
> LOT of duck and goose rillettes in the Dordogne. Yum!!!!

It can also be preserved by putting in containers and sealed under fat.
You can sometimes buy it in little jars.

> If I had to come up with a catch all title, I think I'd call it charcuterie,
> as the French do.

Charcuterie goes a little beyond that, of course...

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?