[Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi and A&S - advice needed

Jim and Andi jimandandi at cox.net
Wed May 27 19:09:07 PDT 2009

Emilio,

This is extremely helpful.

Thank you!
Madhavi

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces+jimandandi=cox.net at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces+jimandandi=cox.net at lists.ansteorra.org] On
Behalf Of emilio szabo
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:31 PM
To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Sent Sovi and A&S - advice needed

<< If Spanish background sources are unavailable in English, would you
find
roughly contemporary French and Italian sources acceptable for
documenting ingredients in a Spanish book? >>

As a rule, I'd say "no", unless you can show, that the French or Italian
source in question is indeed relevant. However, in order to show that,
you will need the kind of independent first hand, i.e. Spanish, evidence
you don't have at hand in English translation.

In addition, I wonder if it might be worth the while to consider
14th/15th century historical units more strictly.

In a sense, the Libre de Sent Sovi is not a "Spanish" source, rather it
is "el més antic text català que coneixem sobre cuina" (Rudolf Grewe's
words): the oldest catalan text we know of on the art of cooking.

If I remember correctly, the "Neapolitan Recipe Collection", edited and
translated into English by Terence Scully, shows some close relationship
to Sent Sovi.

E.