[Sca-cooks] New? Book: The Medieval Cook

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri May 1 04:49:06 PDT 2009

I was asked offlist what bothered me as to this volume.
Briefly,
I can report that although the publisher is describing The Medieval Cook
as a book where "Particular use is made of their frequent appearance in
the margins of lluminated manuscript, whether as decoration, or as a
teaching tool"
the actual number of illustrations is a rather paltry 19.

In fact her volume Fast and Feast which appeared in 1976 contained at
least 44 illustrations.
So this volume has less than half the number of illustrations found in
that book. Her volume The Medieval Calendar Year which appeared in 1999
has more than 100! What bothers me about the lack of illustrations in
this volume is the fact that I know Henisch has been tracking
illustrations of medieval dining and cookery since the early 1980's.
I have a conference proceedings from 1984 which contains a paper that
she presented on the topic. It was titled 'Unconsidered Trifles: the
Search for Cookery Scenes in Medieval Sources.' It seems to me this
volume should have included more illustrations or provided a list of
illustrations and manuscripts to explore on one's own.
(I suspect that the increased fees for illustrations may be playing a
role here. Non-profit university presses are sometimes also able to get
better deals on fees.)

Here's the Contents--
	   	Preface
1 	   	The Cook in Context
2 	   	The Cottage Cook
3 	   	Fast Food and Fine Catering
4 	   	The Comforts of Home
5 	   	The Staging of a Feast
6 	   	On the Edge: the Cook in Art
7 	   	Select Bibliography
8 	   	A Selection of Medieval Recipes
9 	   	Suggestions for Further Reading

The selection of medieval recipes relies on the 1928 Eileen Power
translation of The Goodman of Paris, so nothing new.
Last but not least, one of the papers that she doesn't cite or mention
is one of Constance Hieatt's. In this case I am left wondering why

Hieatt, Constance B. 'A cook of 14th-century London : Chaucer's Hogge of
Ware'. In Walker, Harlan (ed.), Cooks & other people : proceedings of
the Oxford Symposium on Food and Cookery, 1995 (Totnes: Prospect Books,
1995), 138-43.

would not have been included.

So while I'll recommend the volume because yes there is a lot in it that
society cooks will enjoy, it comes with some questions and reservations.

Johnnae