[Sca-cooks] Treasures of the New World Feast

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri May 1 13:44:27 PDT 2009

Yesterday was "Feast Class" for my history students. (I always do one class
each session on the foods of the time period we're studying - except for
Pirates :p ) This quarter is Explorers, so the feast was 'Treasures of the
New World". The menu consisted of foods from North America - Pecans; Wild
Rice with Blueberries, Cranberries, and Pumpkin Seeds; Buffalo Stew (my best
batch ever, and I ended up leaving it on the counter overnight. Unplugged
the heating unit, but neglected to get it into the fridge - arg. The doggies
were happy); and Corn Cakes with Maple Syrup; and from South America -
Sunflower Seeds and Pumpkin Seeds; Green Chili with turkey, tomatillos,
green pepper, green onion, yucca; 3 Sisters Salad with squash, pinto beans,
corn and tomatoes; Peruvian Roots - roasted purple and white fingerling
potatoes; sliced fresh Mango and Avocado, and Xocolatl - hot cocoa drink
with hot water, cinnamon, vanilla, annatto, and sugar. I had bits of the
Dagoba Xocolatl Dark Chocolate with Chilis and Nibs bar cut up for them to
taste as well.

My dinner last night was the sum total of the leftovers: about 3 tablespoons
of the Wild Rice, about a cup of the 3 Sister's Salad, and about 3/4 cup of
the Green Chili. I mean, they SCARFED it up! (Especially the parents
afterwards - LOL)

Tonight will probably be much more pedestrian. Maybe scrambled eggs. :D

Christianna