[Sca-cooks] persimmon

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Nov 5 04:26:24 PST 2009

The persimmon (Diospyros virginiana) that grows in the Midwest is
native to the US.

http://tinyurl.com/yzr6mfr

or see this site
http://www.persimmonpudding.com/recipes/other.html

I don't know that they imported that native variety to the Old World
or if they did, it would have been well past 1600.

We used to go gather persimmons in the fall and make them into a
persimmon pudding. I gather you can buy them in Indiana grocery stores
i the fall but it's a very local product. You can order it in cans and
use that to make the cakes or puddings.

I have no experience with the oriental or Fuyu persimmon. It actually
shows up in markets and produce sections and I've seen it in Ann Arbor.
http://www.plantanswers.com/garden_column/jan04/3.htm

Johnnae