[Sca-cooks] persimmons

Audrey Bergeron-Morin audreybmorin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 09:25:15 PST 2009

Oh, THOSE! I didn't get what you were talking about until I looked at the
Wikipedia article.

Well, we always eat the Japanese kind raw. They call them Kakis around here
and they're available in grocery stores sometimes during the year, along
with other exotic fruit.

I've never come across the other kind. The shape seems different (as per
Wikipedia illustration, which may also be wrong), more pointy for the
Japanese persimmon.

You have to wait until they're very mushy, wrinkled and getting on the
brownish side of things, that is, until us North-Americans would think
they've gone bad, until they're sweet enough to eat raw. But then, wow,
they're so good! Very sweet, with a lingering effect in the mouth like
honey. We just cut them in half and scrape away with a spoon, usually.