[Sca-cooks] boke of cokery 1500 -- ownership statement?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Nov 8 13:08:24 PST 2009

There are ownership statements on the rolls of the microfilm. Right in
the first frames.
My copy of the microfilm (yes I own it)  states
"Those wishing to quote from, reproduce or publish material from these
films should write to:'
and then it gives the address of the Marquis of Bath. There are also
several frames saying the material
is copyrighted. That should be on all the rolls of film and printed
also in the accompanying documents that go along with the microfilm
collection. Check the actual guides that came with each set. I'll bet
they state it very clearly! (I used to spend a great deal of time
working with microfilm collections.)

If you look on the EEBO website it clearly states
Can I download material from EEBO?

All the material published in EEBO is subject to copyright
restrictions and includes a clear statement on each page informing
users of who the copyright holder is. Much of this material is
published electronically under license from the source library, and is
intended solely for the use of members of institutions who subscribe
to the service. The copyright restrictions are similar to those which
apply to print publications: just as readers are permitted to
photocopy short passages of books and journals, users of EEBO are
permitted to download, print, save or email material for their
individual use on the understanding that these copyright restrictions
are adhered to. All further reproduction or distribution is prohibited
without the written permission of ProQuest LLC, and, where applicable,
the copyright holders of the source volume.

There are a number of other statements to this effect scattered
throughout the EEBO docs.

See it's also a matter of violating the license agreement. You sign on
to use a reference collection, you check a box someplace or have
checked a box through the university not to violate agreements.

Johnnae (playing librarian)