[Sca-cooks] Minor rant Re: An Event Without a Feast, was Cookery book at Longleat House?

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 9 05:53:12 PST 2009

It would also be worth mentioning, if it has not already been done, that logistics really have to be considered when it is decided to do or not do a feast.

Having been formerly from West Kingdom, a standard outdoor crown event weekend could have anywhere from 800-1200 people, and that site might be a working ranch or farm with an empty pasture.

This usually means no running water, no tables, no ovens, no nothing. Yes, I have and will cook in a field kitchen, but all those kitchens had at least access to running water and they were done for feasting less than 80 people. But I also had access to some form of running water. I consider the lack of running water a serious health risk when trying to cook for more than a handful of people.

Does this mean there is not a sense of feasting at the events? Not for several years that I can recall. Most often, and announced well ahead of time, the populace would be invited to bring their table & chairs along with a potluck dish and this was all set up on the list field. There was always much merriment.

One of the things I had to dispel since moving from West Kingdom is the concept that they don't have feasts. A large portion of indoor events held by the local groups did in fact have a feast and there are many talented cooks who put those feasts together (and many of which are on this list).

So it is not an issue of not wanting or not considering a sense of "hospitality", but the desire to keep the populace a "Healthy" one that is of primary consideration.

Euriol

 Euriol of Lothian, OP
Clerk, Order of the Pelican, Kingdom of Æthelmearc
Chronicler, Barony of Endless Hills

"I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy."
-Robindranath Tagore, Poet/Playwright/Essayist 1913 Nobel Prize for Literature