[Sca-cooks] Barberries

Cheri or Anne celticcheri at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 12 10:39:05 PST 2009

I'm looking over my Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery for cranberry recipes.  She has one that uses barberries -

'To Preserue Barberries'.

Take well cullered barberies & pick out every stone of them, then weigh them, & to every ounce of barbaries, take 3 ounces of sugar & with halfe an ounce of pulp of barbaries & one ounce of red rosewater.  you must dissolve yr sugar, then boyle it to a sirrup. after, put in yr barbarries, & let them boyle a quarter of an houre very fast, then take them up. & soe soon as they begin to be cool, pot them up & they will keepe theyr culler all ye year.

 The author says "I don't know why cranberries could not be substituted in all these barberry recipes".

Feeling on this?  I'm just looking into a cranberry sauce for the upcoming holiday and thought I'd see what was done in period to a similar berry.

Anne

Go softly and gently for those you meet here will be those you know hereafter."