[Sca-cooks] Candied fruits--oranges and lemons

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 13 12:50:29 PST 2009

Raphaella DiContini wrote:
 >For the feast I did last winter entirely from the anonymous Venetian I
 >got a request for candied orange peels. I also got a request for vegan
 >dishes, so I substituted sugar for honey. Here are some images of the
 >process: http://ayeshadream.livejournal.com/242130.html

I am confused.  The pictures show some spirals of orange peel being
removed from oranges.  Is that what you candied?  If so, what prompted
you to remove the peel like that rather than removing all the peel from
the orange?

You had also quoted from a recipe that Master Eduardo uses and what came
across in the digest was:

"...the water from the first two boilings for orangewater to wash the
hands with). The peels are then boiled in simple syrup starting with ?
cup water, ? cup sugar, for every 1 cup boiled peels."

What are the amounts that the digest translates as "?"?  Thanks!

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com