[Sca-cooks] recipes for plantains?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 28 16:05:44 PST 2009

Kiri answered me with:

<<< Those seem to be small for plantains.  Usually, as Ranvaig said in
her
message, they are much larger.  There is a smaller banana, smaller
than the
standard banana, that's a "finger" banana.  Sometimes stores in the
States
will carry them...and, if you like bananas, you'll love these.  They are
much sweeter than their larger cousins!  When I lived in Papua New
Guinea,
we could get all three...this was back in the 70's, so I was pleasantly
surprised recently when they started showing up here. >>>

The store had these small bananas, as well. I guess I'll have to go
back armed with a ruler and/or a camera. Perhaps I am mis-remembering
the size some, but they were definitely smaller than the regular
bananas.

Several years ago my wife got told to leave a store for taking
photographs. It was for a college photography assignment and
apparently the store (Central Market) was afraid she was an agent for
their competition.

However, an iPhone is a lot less conspicuous than a 35mm SLR film
camera.

I'll have to try one of these "finger" bananas. I had assumed they
were just picked sooner. My doctor wants me to reduce my potassium(?)
intake, but I imagine one or two will be okay.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com