[Sca-cooks] OOP: Brown Sugar Question

Martha Sieting osermart at msu.edu
Sun Nov 29 17:36:18 PST 2009

> Ask and ye shall receive.
>

> Joe Froggers
> Uncle Joe was an old man who made the best molasses cookies (treacle
> biscuits) in Marblehead, Massachusetts. They were called Joe Froggers
> because they were as big and dark as the frogs in Uncle Joe's pond.
> Fishermen found they kept well at sea, and traded them for rum, one
> of Joe's secret ingredients.
>

> Wet Ingredients
>
> 3/4 C unsalted butter, softened (not melted -- do this the long, slow way)
>
> 1 C sugar

So again, here's my problem.  In my experience, molasses cookies that contain white sugar generally turn out kind of a light brown color, not the dark brown I'm looking for.

> Dry Ingredients:
>
> 4 C all-purpose flour, sifted to aerate

> Makes 18-24 cookies depending on the size of your drinking
> glass.

Wow!  4 c flour and all you get are 18-24 cookies?  I'd think you'd have to use an awfully big drinking glass to only get 24 cookies out of this much dough.

Thanks for the recipe, though!  Perhaps I'll give it a try and see how it comes out.

-Helena