[Sca-cooks] Preserving peaches

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Nov 7 04:58:42 PST 2009

MWBofC is up on Google books an can be viewed there.

I suspect the recipe you want is number 36 in the Sweetmeats section.

36 To Preserve Peaches

Take a pound of ye fairest & best cullered peaches you can gt, wipe of
theyr white hore with a clean linnen cloth, then parboyle them in
halfe a ointe of white wine, & a pinte & half of running water. then
pill of their white scin, & weigh them, & to a pound of peach, take 3
quarters of A pound of refined sugar. dissolve it in a quarter of a
pinte of white wine & boyle it allmoste to ye height of a sirrup for
more then a quarter of an houre If they require it, then pot them up
and keepe them all ye year: they must have a little quick boyle in ye
sirrup till they jelly.

You really should buy the book. There's a paperback edition ($27.00)
and there ought to be used copies of the hardcover available.

Johnnae