[Sca-cooks] printed cookbooks prior to 1501 -- Platina

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Mon Nov 9 08:29:55 PST 2009

Actually there are "recipes" in the first five books for De Honesta.
If you attended the RSA Symposium a few years ago you might have been at a
session which included a paper titled "The Hidden Recipes of Bartolomeo
Sacchi: An exploration of the recipes in the first five books of De Honesta
Voluptate et Valetudine". By David S. Walddon (AKA Eduardo Lucrezia).

Here is the abstract.

Abstract: In the first printed work on food products and cookery De Honesta
Voluptate et Valetudine (1475, Venice) by Bartolomeo Sacchi, also known as
Platina, the last five sections of the work are filled with hundreds of
recipes from mid-15th century. These recipes were recorded by Platina from a
slightly older manuscript composed by Maestro Martino de Como. Martino¹s
recipes have been studied and commented upon in depth in many papers and at
many symposiums. So have the medical and humoral theory, agricultural advice
and general commentary on food products, which make up the first five
sections of De Honesta. But scattered among Platina¹s writings in the first
part of his book are culinary recipes that have not been studied nearly as
extensively. This paper identifies and examines these recipes, classifies
them as to use and explores the many interesting details they reveal about
food and food-ways in the late 15th century Italy.

Here is a breakdown of the recipes. (hopefully it will work in e-mail).

Appendix A

A break down of the data by product category and the overall totals from
each book, including an overall roll-up of the total number of recipes,
total variations and the final combined total.

MEAT   FRUIT   VEGETABLE   DAIRY   Misc.
  16   38       58          8       37

                BK I   BK II   BK III   BK IV   BK V
  Recipe        16      39      13      27      4
  Variations   10       15      2       31      0
  Total         26      54      15      58      4

  Total Recipes   99
  Total Variations   58
  Combined Total   157

Eduardo