[Sca-cooks] boke of cokery 1500 -- Potage for somer season

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Sun Nov 8 14:42:57 PST 2009

There has been some discussion about the copyright restrictions of the EEBO-microfilm and digital version of the microfilm of the "boke of cokery" (1500).

It is my understanding that the microfilm in the collection, for which universities, research institutes and whoever has access to EEBO pay huge sums, is protected by copyright laws. I have no problem with that.

It is also my understanding, that work based on intellectual efforts, using this (public) collection, is due to the person who did the work.

In the following case, the person who did the work is me. I transcribed one recipe from the boke of cokery (1500) together with a Scully-type line-by-line-version from Napier's edition (1882), whatever faulty this edition might be.

Is this illegal? I don't think so.

E.