[Sca-cooks] Barberries

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Nov 12 22:31:16 PST 2009

><<< Barberries can be found in Middle Eastern and Persian grocery
>stores on occasion.  There are several recipes in the 1549 Italian
>cookbook the Libro Novo that use them.  I rather like them in
>moderation.
>
>                                                   Master B >>>
>
>Thank you. I'll have to try to find some the next time I'm in a
>Middle Eastern or Persian grocery store. Are these likely to be in
>cans, jars, dried in bags, or what?  At least these I can figure out
>how to use them, either fresh or otherwise. Some foods, pickled, in
>various mixes and others I'm not sure how to use.

They might be labeled Zereshk Berries.  I think I've seen them in a
plastic bag, but but I've never bought any.

http://store.ethnicfoodsco.com/grocery/ProdDesc.CFM?itemid=PS13_0100&Description=Zereshk%20Berries%20(Dried%20Red%20Barberries%20for%20Persian%20Rice)&countryid=&countryname=&countryorderid=

Here's a picture in packaging.  One brand anyway.
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/berber2b.jpg

Ranvaig