[Sca-cooks] question on pigeon substitute

wyldrose wyldrose at tds.net
Wed Nov 18 18:44:10 PST 2009

I  have eaten pigeon, dove and the like (duck, grouse, quail, pheasant, etc)
and squab is closer  to grouse, dove , or pheasant, (except not as dry,
gamey, or chewy.  )Pigeon/squab  to not be very tender and slightly gamy (in
my opinion).   Moist duck breast could be substituted as could dove, grouse,
pheasant, etc...You could also use chicken thigh (de-boned).  Personally I
disliked pigeon and would opt for the chicken thigh:)
                                Kay