[Sca-cooks] persimmon

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Nov 5 14:43:42 PST 2009

I came across a mention of this when looking at sites earlier-

"The vast majority of people eat persimmons without problem.  In very
rare cases, persimmons have been known to contribute to the formation
of diospyrobezoars in some people.  If you have had previous gastric
surgery, or any form of gastric impairment, you are encouraged to
consult with your physician before eating large quantities of
persimmons."

This is very rare but there are cases reported of "severe abdominal
cramping, anusea, vomiting, and pyrexia" associated with eating
persimmons.

This leads to articles like "Huge gastric diospyrobezoars successfully
treated by oral intake and endoscopic injection of Coca-Cola."

No kidding.

Johnnae