[Sca-cooks] IKA: Kingdom funding feast

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon Nov 9 15:06:45 PST 2009

This IKA stuff is pretty interesting!

AnTir is frakking huge, and customs vary within it. I can really only
speak to how we do it in the southern end- basically Oregon and SW
Washington.

Kingdom events- two Crowns, two Coronations, Kingdom A&S, and An
Tir/West War (all of which are subject to bid by local branches, profits
are split between branch and Kingdom)- have no feast. The last time
there was a feast at 12th Night Coronation was about 15 years ago. The
main reason we don't have them- flat-out too big. Kingdom events run in
the neighborhood of 1200-1500 people, and often more. It is really hard
to find facilities big enough to host that many people, much less make a
feast! 12th Night is now held in hotels, 'Con' style. Sometimes the
hotel restaurant will offer a periodish meal, and at one place we gave
them recipes and they produced period meals, which was really cool. But
they were an exception.

The Principality of the Summits has four Principality events- two
Coronets and two Investitures. 11th Night (yeah, I know) Investiture
usually has a feast. Attendance at Principality events is usually in the
neighborhood of 200 people. (Summits is the part of Oregon that is not
Portland Metro. Most of the people in the state are in Portland, and the
population base in the rest of the state is kinda sparse.) There have
been in the past potlucks at the summer Coronet events, but they haven't
done that for awhile.

Local events frequently have feasts- basically events from October to
April are day events with a feast- at least a potluck. Some branches,
especially the bigger baronies, put on really good feasts. And I am
pleased to report that the potlucks are even doing well- went to one
last month and was pleasantly surprised to see that about 3/4 of the
dishes were at least period-oid, and about half were period, most with
documentation on the 3x5 card with ingredient list! The foodies in the
Portland Metro area have been really pushing with the evangelism- more
and more people are experimenting with period food, and I am very
pleased about this development!

I live in Portland- Barony of Three Mountains- and our events range for
150-300 attendees, depending on the event. Yule feast is usually a big
one, as is the A&S championship. We have been having some difficulty
finding event venues here in town that will fit that many people. One of
our favorite halls recently was sold and the new owners re-purposed it
and no longer rent it out to folks like us. Our typical site is a
Masonic hall, with kitchen/dining hall, and a big room for court. Their
kitchens are usually very good. Sometimes we get a different site and
aren't so lucky. Those events usually end up being potlucks.

Anne-Marie can probably speak to event conditions in the central area of
An Tir- I really don't know about the rest of the kingdom- remember that
it is a 27 hour drive (straight through) from one end of the kingdom to
the other, and it has a very wide variety of customs and people, most of
which and whom I have not seen or met. Is there anyone here from Tir
Righ or Avacal? I'd like to hear about their customs!

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore