[Sca-cooks] compost

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 9 20:49:42 PST 2009

<<< Susan Lin wrote:
> Okay - I'm thoroughly confused - I saw compost and just assumed you
> were
> talking about fertilizer.
>
> Please explain, what is this "compost" of which you speak?

It's in one of the Middle English cookbooks (I don't remember which one
at the moment), and a more modernized spelling would be 'compote'. It's
basically a variety of fruit in a solution of wine/vinegar/honey or some
variation thereof. >>>

Lol! I think I posted a question very much like Shoshanna's when this
topic first came up on this list.

Here is a file on compost in the FOOD section of the Florilegium. It
contains a number of different recipes. This was a method to preserve
various fruits and vegetables as they were harvested. You would put
your first batch of fruit or vegetables in the pickling solution when
it was ripe and then as different fruits and vegetables ripened and
were harvested they were added to the same container and more pickling
solution is added, as the season progresses.

compost-msg       (82K)  8/25/06  A pickled food of fruits and
vegetables.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/compost-msg.html

<<< There's also a recipe for 'Garbage', which is a bunch of savory
bits in
a solution. It starts out with chicken feet, so IMNSHO the name made be
appropriate. ;-)

'Lainie >>>

Do you have a favorite recipe for this?  I do get some hits on
"garbage" in the Florilegium, but this is not what most of them are
referring to.

My wife pointed out to me in our local, regular grocery store recently
several trays of chicken feet in the meat section. I don't think she
liked my comment. At least it wasn't what she was expecting. I asked
her if she wanted me cook them up; that I had a medieval dish to use
them. Now I really do!

I wonder if this is a seasonal item, since I've never seen them for
sale before.  Anyone know any other good uses for chicken feet? They
were cheap.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com