[Sca-cooks] compost

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 9 21:04:42 PST 2009

On Nov 9, 2009, at 11:49 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Anyone know any other good uses for chicken feet? They were cheap.

They are a wonderful addition to a good, rich, gelatin-laden chicken stock (says the guy who made 35 pounds of jellied meat last week).

As far as actually eating them goes, they're a little bony, but if you like something like pig's feet, they are roughly similar, if a lot smaller.

Not bad in any of a number of Chinese dishes, either deep-fried and then braised, or braised in soy sauce with sugar, five spice, ginger and shallots or garlic, etc.

Eating them is sort of a social activity, like picking crabs. Not  a lot of meat on them, but they can be tasty, so sitting around with a lot of them, suitably prepared, schmoozing while eating, is indicated.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter