[Sca-cooks] The infamous "Top Chef" episode

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 15 12:03:55 PST 2009

> The plastic sword is a bit chessy and the restaurants that are at the
> Excaliber that are themed to Excaliber don't look like the cheesy kind.
> http://www.excalibur.com/restaurants/

Of course there are fine dining options available. But the overall theme

of Excaliber is the cheesy "Medieval Times", 50's style period pieces.

It IS cheesy. That's why I would do the updated and fancified Icelandic

Chicken with the plastic sword. To reflect both the fine dining, periodocity

AND cheese factor.

And I've been thinking about my recipe and I would wrap the chicken in

proscuitto, sage and a bit of provolone. Bake it briefly and then wrap in

puff pastry and finish cooking.

I wouldn't do the basic dough because I wouldn't want people to think

"Hot Pocket" and added the provolone to add richness that would usually

be created by the chicken baking/steaming in the dough.

Proscuitto would be used because it would crisp up a bit in the baking but

still add a lot of flavor, using bacon or panchetta would result in a chewy

mass that would turn a lot of people off.

The sauce would be a simple thickend puree of parsley, cilantro, basil mix

with olive oil and verjus.

> Is there any period recipes for swordfish? :)

Not sure about swordfish but any large meaty fish was often grilled in steaks

and served sprinkled with verjus or served with a sauce.

> De

Gunthar