[Sca-cooks] History -- pecan pie recipe

Craig Daniel teucer at pobox.com
Thu Nov 19 13:15:34 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Susan Lin <susanrlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Like wise with those decadent chocolate cakes that are gluten-free, and I
> know there must be a real name for these other than gluten-free, they are
> made with melted dark chocolate and egg yolks and cream - anyone? anyone?
> Beuller?  They are fudgy and rich and a 6 inch round cake feeds 6-8.
> Christianna
> Veteran of MANY a buffet line
>
>  I often call them tortes or Passover cakes!!!

I usually see them called "flourless chocolate cakes" - which is a
totally different beast from gluten-free cakes, a term that most often
refers to various attempts at creating a gluten free substitute for a
more typical cake recipe, generally with very mixed results.
Paradoxically, I once saw a recipe for flourless chocolate cake that
did call for a tiny bit of flour - it was a dessert of the
flourless-cake sort, even though technically the name wasn't really
accurate anymore.

 - Jaume