[Sca-cooks] Vegan recipes

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 4 11:35:52 PDT 2009

Georgia Foster wrote:
> Primate
>

> sharp pointy  canine teeth

Have a look at your teeth and a look at say, a dog's, hmm?

The carnivore's got tiny peg-like incisors, big, conical pointed canines
and flat scissor-blade carnassials.
You've got big, flat incisors, small, barely pointed canines that sit
pretty much flush with your other teeth and blocky, grinding molars.

And primates are, on the whole, mainly vegetarian.  The big canines are
mostly for show, and they too have big incisors and blocky, grinding molars.

> eyes in front

There are more reasons to have eyes in front than predation.  Lots of
arboreal animals have eyes up front for the simple reason that you need
stereoscopic vision to leap through the trees effectively.

> digestive system for purification

What the heck does that mean? Digestive system for *digesting*.  Humans
have a super-extra-long gut that's good for digesting plant-sourced
carbohydrates.  Carnivores typically have much shorter guts, since meat
has less bulk and they have little need to digest carbs.  Similarly,
serious carnivores can generally synthesize vitamin C but need taurine
from dietary sources; we have to get vitamin C from food, but we can
synthesise taurine. We might like meat, and it might even be
nutritionally beneficial, but we're really set up to eat *mostly* plant
matter.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo