[Sca-cooks] Another sausage question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 9 14:15:27 PDT 2009

On Oct 9, 2009, at 4:12 PM, Deborah Hammons wrote:

> I have an out of kingdom laurel who swears that it is period to boil
> the
> sausages/brats etc in  beer or wine or mead.

I can think of at least one English recipe, probably 15th century, for
simmering meat in ale wort (it's for faux sturgeon made of veal
shank), and several for simmering meats in ale or wine. I haven't seen
any direct evidence for doing this with sausages, and I thought the
whole point of bratwursts is that they're grilled or fried (yes, I
know they are so treated in the modern US and Europe, but think about
the name).

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to go to your laurel friend
and tell him or her that you'd like to learn more about this subject,
and ask for the source of the information on boiling sausages in beer,
wine or mead. This is kind of what Laurels are for... of course, how
would I know??? ;-)

>  I couldn't find any recipes
> that are period that mention it.  I used new world rather than
> period so
> that I wouldn't get the what period are you looking at comments.  Just
> sausage.  And I don't want to add any pork products.  So I will make
> a small
> batch without fat, one with probably beef suet or lard, and see what
> the
> taste and texture is like.  Thank you.

One thing to consider is that without added fat, you're going to have
a much narrower window of forgiveness on things like overcooking and
drying out (which is where bratwursts, fried or grilled where you can
see what's going on, might come in handy). Lard, without some
qualification, is pretty much always pork fat, but beef kidney suet
might work.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter