[Sca-cooks] Hais question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 18 19:01:23 PDT 2009

This is the recipe I'm using for the hais for next week's BG Nobles
Luncheon. I've just ground all this stuff together in my food
processor, but the result is a moist powder. If I squeeze it hard
enough, I can squeeze it into a ball, but it crumbles apart. Should I
add more sesame oil?  I don't want it to be too moist, but this looks
like what I need to do.

I do realize that bread crumbs in particular, can have differing
amounts of moisture. This is one of the reasons I've made my own bread
crumbs rather than buying "bread crumbs" in the store.

Also, for this amount, what is the approximate amount for "enough"
sugar?

Please copy me on any list answers since I am on the digest and won't
see it until the digest fills up.

Thanks,
   Stefan

=======
Hais
al-Baghdadi p. 214/14, redaction by Cariadoc and Betty Cook

Take fine dry bread, or biscuit, and grind up well. Take a ratl of
this, and three quarters of a ratl of fresh or preserved dates with
the stones removed, together with three uqiya of ground almonds and
pistachios. Knead all together very well with the hands. Refine two
uqiya of sesame-oil, and pour over, working with the hand until it is
mixed in. Make into cabobs, and dust with fine-ground sugar. If
desired, instead of sesame-oil use butter. This is excellent for
travellers.

       2 2/3 cup bread crumbs
       2 c (about one lb) pitted dates
       1/3 c ground almonds
       1/3 c ground pistachios
       7 T melted butter or sesame oil
       enough sugar

       "We usually mix dates, bread crumbs, and nuts in a food
processor or blender. For "cabobs," roll into one inch balls. Good as
caravan food (or for taking to wars). They last forever if you do not
eat them, but you do so they don't."
Make 2 or Three batches
This recipe excerpted directly from Cariadoc's Miscellany, 8th
edition, http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/desserts.html#1
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com