[Sca-cooks] ripening tomatoes - OOP

charding at nwlink.com charding at nwlink.com
Fri Oct 16 14:57:10 PDT 2009

First look at the blossom end of the tomato, if you see a star, you can
get them ripe.  No star - make fried green tomatoes or chutney.

I put them in a box with a lid, only 1 layer deep and put them in the same
room as the red wine to be that is fermenting.  I also put an apple in the
box.  The apple gives off ethylene gas which is a ripening compound.  If
you have a lot of late blight (which is a tomato scourge here in the
PacNW) you can rinse the tomatoes in a mild bleach solution and dry them
before you place in the box.

I have several really good green tomato chutney recipes if anyone wants
one. I am not near any recipes today, so I will post them tomorrow.

I have 6 boxes or so of tomatoes stored this way and usually can keep
tomatoes thru December.

Maeva
An Tir
Olympia WA