[Sca-cooks] ripening tomatoes - OOP

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Fri Oct 16 15:24:40 PDT 2009

What has worked quite well for me is:

Wash them all.

Dry them all thoroughly.

Set the ripe tomatoes aside.

Put the green tomatoes in a shallow glass baking dish.

Put a few ripe or nearly ripe tomatoes in with the green tomatoes
to help trigger the ripening.

Cover with a film of wrap, lift up the wrap at one corner to create
a small hole to allow them to breathe a bit.

Leave the dish somewhere out of direct sunlight, check it daily,
and remove tomatoes as they become ripe.

There are some very hard slightly grey tinted or white tinted green
tomatoes that do not ever seem to ripen, so discard those.

It has been said that putting a banana in with the tomatoes works
very well to hasten the process, but I have not tried this.

Thorvald