[Sca-cooks] ISO Serbian cooking references

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Oct 22 19:51:07 PDT 2009

Prior to the 5th Century, when the White Serbs moved into the Balkans and
pushed north, the area was the Roman province of Illyricum (originally
conquered by Roman in the late 3rd Century BCE).  It was an important
province, so the cooking would have been largely Roman.  The area was
technically under the control of Byzantium, but was largely disputed
territory.  A Serbian state first appears in the 9th Century.  By the
mid-11th Centruy, the Serbian state is firmly established under the control
of Byzantium.  The Nemanjic Dynasty ruled the country from about 1150 to
1371.  In 1389, the Ottoman Turks began major incursions into the region and
the Serbian kingdom ceased to exist in 1459 with the Turks fully in control
of Serbia.

The period that probably is most of interest is likely the Nemjanic Dynasty.
You might check out these two web sites as a starting point:

http://palachinka.blogspot.com/2008/09/foodbuzz-24-24-24-medieval-cuisine-of.html

http://www.springerlink.com/content/rt440l8660147757/

Bear