[Sca-cooks] High Finance, Tavern Arrangements, WAS An Andalusian Lunch at Red Dragon

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 2 00:32:24 PDT 2009

Antonia wrote:
>  I'm actually interested in how other groups handle the event pre-process
>  as well.  For us it's normally:
>
>  1. Prospective event Steward prepares a bid for an event. Sometimes
>  this will include finding a feast cook and negotiating the food budget
>  in advance, sometimes not.
>
>  2. Prospective Steward presents bid to Council-- Council will either
>  approve the whole thing, approve with modifications, or approve in
>  principle and refer the budget to the Finance Committee for further
>  attention. (the budget usually gets referred if it's slightly incomplete
>  at the time the bid is presented).
>
>  (from this point, the Steward is *very much* in charge of running their
>  event)
>
>  3. With the budget approved, the Reeve can disburse funds in accordance
>  with the budget at the Steward's request and without further discussion
>  with Council or Committee-- most commonly, this will mean money for
>  food, decorations, up-front venue costs, etc.

Way different from here.

A branch has a standard event. The group seneschal submits the dates
it wants and the Calendar seneschal tells them which one date they
can have. Someone in the group volunteers to be autocrat. Either they
know a cook, or a cook has been asking to cook a feast, or word is
passed around via the old SCAdian network and someone steps forward
or is pushed. So now there's a autocrat and a cook. There's a general
standard budget because it's an event that's been going on for a
while and there's a good idea of how many will show up.

Voila!

For example, the two Mists Principality Investiture Feasts per year
now have a set budget of $600 maximum for food for 72 diners. Some
cooks spend less.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita