[Sca-cooks] High Finance, Tavern Arrangements, WAS An Andalusian Lunch at Red Dragon

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Sep 2 00:55:50 PDT 2009

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Way different from here.
>
> A branch has a standard event. The group seneschal submits the dates
> it wants and the Calendar seneschal tells them which one date they can
> have. Someone in the group volunteers to be autocrat. Either they know
> a cook, or a cook has been asking to cook a feast, or word is passed
> around via the old SCAdian network and someone steps forward or is
> pushed. So now there's a autocrat and a cook. There's a general
> standard budget because it's an event that's been going on for a while
> and there's a good idea of how many will show up.
>
> Voila!
>
> For example, the two Mists Principality Investiture Feasts per year
> now have a set budget of $600 maximum for food for 72 diners. Some
> cooks spend less.

We have *one* large annual event that is done a bit more like that, in
that the dates are set far in advance and that the budget is reasonably
standard-- but that's for a week-long encampment, so the organisational
aspects are rather more complex.  It still has to go through the
formalities, though, since costs go up, and a new Steward might have new
ideas about new activities, cost savings, and so forth.

The rest of the time it's mostly ad-hoc.  This barony run quite a few
events per year, many of them one-offs and the only dates we must
normally avoid are those of four fixed annual Kingdom events.  Who hosts
Kingdom events is determined by (nominally) competitive bidding, so they
can be very variable.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,