[Sca-cooks] Handwashing in 1500's Italian feast menus

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 3 19:27:52 PDT 2009

> [snip]
> Perhaps this is something that could only work for a perfect period
> feast where all of the servers and diners are trained in what to
> expect as I can imagine the chaos and complaints that might ensue if
> I were to try this currently. Perhaps if there was a class on one of
> the etiquette manuals, or an overview of many? Any thoughts?
>
> Raffaella

I believe the "Perfectly Period Feast" mentioned here recently had at
least some of this.

Perf-P-Feast-msg  (40K)  2/26/09    "Perfectly Period Feast" cooked by
Mistress
                                        Crystal of the Westermark. A
medieval
                                        feast, with atmosphere, 'done
right'.

For handwashing, these files, also in the FEAST section detail how it
was done and how some SCA folks have recreated it.
Handwashing-art   (22K)  2/24/02  "Scented Handwaters For Feasts and
                                      Dayboards" by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

<<< If a class like this were offered at an event I attended, I would
definitely sign up. I'd love to learn about medieval table etiquette
-- for any or all areas of the known world, since I'm sure practices
varied widely.

Judith >>>

Often there are such classes at events such as Pennsic.

Until you can attend some, here are some other files in the
Florilegium FEAST section which would give you some info on this.

French-Tbl-Srv-art (7K)  5/22/04  An example of French table service
                                      translated by Angharad ferch
Iorwerth.
ME-feasts-msg     (20K)  4/ 4/04    Middle Eastern feasts. sitting,
serving.
meat-carving-bib   (9K)  4/ 5/01    Biblio. on meat carving by Thomas
Gloning.
Medievl-Feasts-art (16K)  2/24/05    "The Medieval Feast - An Event,
Not Food"
                                        by Mistress Willow de Wisp.
p-Coronat-fst-art (22K)  3/26/01    The Coronation feast of Richard III.
p-feasts-msg      (84K)  2/21/08    General comments about period
feasts.
p-menus-msg       (64K)  3/24/08    Examples of medieval feast menus.
table-manners-msg (24K)  6/16/08  Period table manners.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com