[Sca-cooks] pasties - was winter projects

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 8 10:47:32 PDT 2009

Kathleen A Roberts wrote:
> speaking of pasties...
>
> i have a "box lunch for two" prep coming up in a few weeks (auctioned
> for our poor fighters fund).  it's a lunch by the field kind of thing.
>
> i was thinking of doing a nice pastie with a guiness-beef-esque
> filling.  i was also thinking of an free-form apple tart for dessert.
>
> am i getting to 'crusty' with this?  any ideas on what could go well
> with it?  i was thinking some cheese, but that brings me back to flour
> product to put it on.  even though the lunch didn't make much (nothing
> does, these days, sadly), i don't want the nice folks to think i am
> giving them nothing but filler and or starch.
>
> period-esque rather than practically prefectly period. but they are
> adventurous eaters, so that is good!

Bucking the trend here.  I think that keeping it a crusted tart for
dessert is a good period solution.  The shape and flavors are completely
different.  "Crust" regarded as part of the serving-ware, not part of
the meal.  And no cleaning the "plate", just throw it to the dogs.  Huzzah!

Nice cheese is nice.  I'm seeing a lot of "Irish Cheddar" around lately,
sharp and white.  Wrap it in cheesecloth.

Equal parts beef/onion/turnip makes a nice pasty.  Also,
beef/onion/apple, but since your sweet is apple, save this for another time.

Cheers,
Selene