[Sca-cooks] siting table in Middle-eastern style.

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Sep 11 23:34:31 PDT 2009

>In the Middle East, now? In the Middle East in period?
>
>If you mean in period, what did these tray tables look like? I keep
>thinking of TV tray tables from the American 50s and 60s. I hadn't
>realized they might have gone back further than that.  Still, a
>somewhat jarring image, thinking of a group in traditional dress
>gathered around a small, glowing box with a white and black
>flickering image...

The ones I've seen are round brass, often very decorated, with a
table or stand that the tray fits on. They are meant for several
people to sit around them, probably on a cushion on the floor.  These
are modern, but they say the tradition goes back to medieval times.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Middle-Eastern-Moroccan-Islamic-28%22-Brass-Tray-Table_W0QQitemZ360185383313QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090902?IMSfp=TL090902168007r22278

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,moroccan-middle-eastern,2026126.html

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hollywood-Regency-Islamic-Moroccan-20-Brass-Tray-Table_W0QQitemZ400068886431QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d25f6bf9f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Ranvaig